In 1994, Congress declared the week leading up to Father’s Day, “Men’s Health Week.” The point of Men’s Health Week is to raise awareness of preventable health issues for males and encourage early detection and treatment. What better way to show your dad love this Father’s Day than by encouraging him to lead a healthy life!
Congressman Bill Richardson said it best. “Recognizing and preventing men’s health problems is not just a man’s issue. Because of its impact on wives, mothers, daughters, and sisters. Men’s health is truly a family issue.”
To show our appreciation for the families in our community, Cabot Emergency Hospital has put together an epic Father’s Day giveaway! We’re giving away a brand new Masterbuilt 145s electric smoker, an incredible $150 gift card to Cabot Meat Market Inc., and four flavors of Western smoking chips! This package is worth over $500, but one lucky person will take it home completely free! It only takes four easy steps to enter the giveaway, and the winner will be announced on June 18th. Give your dad the Father’s Day gift of his dreams and enjoy some outdoor fun with the family! Enter to win by visiting our Facebook post here. Good luck!
Observing Men’s Health Week
Here are three easy ways men can honor their health this week:
- Thank your body: Our bodies have carried us through a lot, and sometimes we forget to be kind to them. You can thank your body for its capabilities by stretching, going to bed a little earlier, drinking more water, and cutting back on caffeine and fatty foods. Take this time to enjoy activities you may have put on the back burner, like swimming, kickboxing, running, etc. Our bodies usually try to tell us when something is amiss, but we can get into the habit of ignoring the signs. Try tuning in and listening to what your body is telling you this week.
- Show your support: Men’s health week is a great opportunity to reach out to the other men in your life and show appreciation for all they do. It’s also a great time to show your support publicly by wearing blue clothing or a ribbon the Friday of Men’s Health Week, June 12th. The blue ribbon is a symbol for Men’s health, and a great conversation starter to raise awareness for common health risks.
- Make an appointment: Do you have that health thing? That thing that maybe you’ve come to accept, but know deep down it’s time to it get checked out? A funky colored mole, an old knee injury that bugs you, or a digestion issue that keeps flaring up? Whatever your thing may be, take this day as a push to finally make that doctor’s appointment!
For a healthier life, men should always pay close attention to the following:
- Blood Pressure
- Weight and BMI
- Skin, teeth, and eyes
Top Health Risks
In both men and women, heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide. However, heart conditions in general kill almost twice as many males. According to the CDC, nearly half of all Americans have three or more risk factors for heart disease.
Risk factors to be cautious of include:
- Physical inactivity
- High blood cholesterol
- High blood pressure
Behind heart disease, the top remaining health concerns for men include:
- Suicide and Depression
- Lung Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
The leading health risks for men are not a secret; they’re common and preventable. Certain diseases don’t show symptoms, so it’s imperative that you regularly visit the doctor for checkups and screenings.
However, according to a Cleveland Clinic survey, a whopping 60% of men don’t go to the doctor at all. And 19% of men admitted they only go to the doctor so that a loved one will stop nagging them—proof that talking about it can help make a difference!
Here is a general rule of thumb for important screenings:
- Colon or rectal cancer screening: 50 years old (age 50)
- Prostate cancer: 50 years old
- Cardiovascular or coronary artery disease: 20 years old (20)
- Blood pressure screenings: 20 years old
Make the commitment this Men’s Health Week to prioritize your health!
Cabot Emergency Hospital is here to help you. Our facility is equipped to handle any type of medical need. We offer extensive cardiology services and comprehensive care options for emergencies, trauma, injuries, diseases, and health conditions. Click here for a full list of services we provide. And don’t miss out on the chance to thank your dad for all he does by entering to win our Father’s Day giveaway!
Disclaimer: As a service to our readers, Cabot Emergency Hospital and Nutex Health state no content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinicians.