Put your Breast Foot Forward this October and Walk for a Cause

October is a time filled with fall décor, Halloween candy, and football, but one of the most significant things about these four weeks is that it’s National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Take a moment to think about the women you care about—family, friends, colleagues—can you list them on both hands? Statistics show, 1 in 8 women in their lifetime will hear the words, “you have breast cancer.” Additionally, Arkansas has the 6th highest breast cancer death rate in the nation. These numbers show just how many people are affected by breast cancer, directly or indirectly.

Cabot Emergency Hospital encourages you to raise awareness for breast cancer by getting involved in your community this October.

More Than Pink Walk

Saturday, October 26th, is the Susan G. Komen More Than Pink Walk, in Little Rock, AR.

To encourage more participation, the organization has changed its annual breast cancer awareness run to the More Than Pink Walk. By taking the competition out of the event, they aim to present a fun-filled day for all members of the community.

For a more festive feel, they are relocating the event from downtown Little Rock to the center of River Market. The walk covers just over two miles and spans across the two iconic Little Rock bridges. Participants are asked to show support by wearing pink to the event.

Each year, over 1 million supporters come together to participate in the races and walks Susan G. Komen host. Lace-up your tennis shoes this Saturday and make the drive to Little Rock to join those who walk to make a difference!

The Goal

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization and has funded more than $800 million in research since its founding in 1982. The organization has also raised $1.6 billion in funding for education, treatment, screening, and support programs, helping millions of people around the world who have been affected by breast cancer.

The Arkansas Affiliate was incorporated in 1992, and their biggest mission is to provide funding for breast cancer services, education, and outreach to the counties in Arkansas. Susan G. Komen Arkansas is transparent about their funding, so there are no questions about where your donations go.

Funding percentages:

  • 56 percent: more effective treatments
  • 18 percent: better tools to detect, diagnose and determine treatment
  • 14 percent: improving the quality of life for breast cancer patients
  • 7 percent: the biology of how breast cancer starts and spreads
  • 3 percent: environmental, genetic, and other potential causes
  • 2 percent: preventing breast cancer

Through fundraising at events like the More Thank Pink Walk, Runway for the Cure, Texarkana’s Race for the Cure, and NE Arkansas’ Race for the Cure, a real impact is made on a state-level. Susan G. Komen Arkansas invests 75 percent of the money raised to support local breast health services and puts the remaining 25 percent into national research to find a cure.

Stay Involved

Did you know that there are 1.38 million new cases of breast cancer annually? And that it causes 458,000 deaths each year? Those sobering statistics are the reason we need to raise awareness and support medical research every month of the year, not just in October.

Here are ways you can raise awareness for breast cancer year-round:

  • Talk about the signs, symptoms, and facts about breast cancer with friends and family
  • Remind the women in your life about self-breast exams and medical screening
  • Get a mammogram annually or ask your doctor when you should get one
  • Donate to a breast cancer organization of your choice every month
  • Raise money by crowdfunding or fundraising
  • Share news articles about the topic on social media
  • Volunteer for your local Susan G. Komen chapter

During National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and throughout the year, our thoughts are with the women and families in our community affected by breast cancer.

Cabot Emergency Hospital is now open, and our highly trained staff is ready to help you any time a medical emergency arises. For concierge-level care, visit our new premier facility, open 24/7, 365 days a year.

Disclaimer: As a service to our readers, Cabot Emergency Hospital and Nutex Health state no content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinicians.

Nutex Health, Inc supports you and your family’s health. Cabot Emergency Hospital will provide the emergency care you deserve, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.